The following positions are currently being advertised:
Sprint Horticulture Pty Ltd : Gosford, New South Wales
Sprint Horticulture is an innovative horticultural company specialising in the propagation, sales and distribution of ornamental plants. We represent licensed varieties developed by breeders both in Australia and around the world. With access to leading plant genetics, Sprint is at the forefront of product development in Australia.
We have built new greenhouse propagation facilities at Peats Ridge, NSW and require an experienced person to take up a position as a Plant Nursery Manager.
This is a great opportunity for an energetic and dedicated person who wishes to develop their career in horticulture with a strong upward progression. You will be exposed to situations where your experience and technical knowledge will be fully utilised to solve problems. Our interaction with both foreign and Australian breeders will expose you to new varieties where new production protocols have to be developed and implemented.
- Reporting to the Owner/CEO you will assist the day to day greenhouse and outdoor crop operations across two sites including motherstock maintenance
- Lead work programs to ensure productivity goals are met in our pot production programs which includes achieving potting targets
- Assist in managing a computer controlled greenhouse environments to optimize growth rates
- Assist in crop health management by implementing nutritional, pest and disease management strategies
- Assist in monitoring the water requirements of crops and manage irrigation and fertilizer schedules using mist, boom and overhead irrigation systems
Botanica Nurseries Pty Ltd : Sydney, New South Wales
We are looking for responsible, self-motivated Nursery Hands to join our Dispatch and Production Teams. Experience in Horticulture is an advantage, though all training will be provided.
If you are interested in working in Horticulture or have relevant industry experience in production nurseries or garden and landscape maintenance, please forward your resume.
Traineeships are available for suitable applicants including adults or year 12 school leavers.
These are casual positions with full time hours available – full time positions may be offered to those that perform well in their roles or are selected for a Traineeship.
- Selecting and picking plants for orders
- Preparing plants for dispatch
- Labeling, pruning, staking, fertilizing and weeding plants
- General Nursery Duties
- Use of tractors and nursery machinery
- Be fit and healthy (these are physically demanding roles)
- Willing to work as part of an all-weathers, outdoor Team environment
- Follows directions easily
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated with initiative to take action
- Eye for detail with plant maintenance and presentation
- Plant knowledge and experience with nursery machinery an advantage
- Own vehicle and drivers licence essential
Griffith University: Brisbane, Queensland
We are seeking two PhD candidates to assist in a Hort Innovation project, ‘Increasing yield and quality in tropical horticulture with better pollination, fruit retention and nutrient distribution’.
Cross-pollination, compared with self-pollination, may improve nutrient distribution, fruitlet retention, fruit yield, and product quality in tropical crops. The PhD candidates will: (a) use DNA fingerprinting methods to assess relationships between seed paternity and fruit quality; (b) assess bee behaviour and analyse pollen loads on bees in orchards; and/or (c) develop hyperspectral imaging methods to quantify nutrient concentrations in leaves and fruit. Study crops will be mango or lychee.
This positions will be held at Griffith University Nathan Campus.
The selection of applicants for the award of higher degree research scholarships at Griffith University involves consideration of your academic merit and research background. To be successful within this role, you will need to have graduated with First Class honours or equivalent in an Honours or Masters degree. You will have evidence of skills in at least one of the following areas:
- Pollination and plant reproductive biology
- Plant molecular biology or plant physiology
- Crop nutrition
- Analysis of food chemical composition
- Advanced sensing technologies such as hyperspectral imaging
- Open driver’s license
This scholarships are open to domestic and international applicants.
About the scholarships
There are two Griffith University Postgraduate Research Scholarship opportunities available.
The 2019 Griffith University Postgraduate Research Scholarship has an annual stipend of $27,596 (indexed) for a period of up to three years of full-time study. Please see the GUPRS Conditions of Award for more information.
A successful International applicant will also be awarded a Griffith University International Postgraduate Research Scholarship to cover tuition fees for up to three years. Please see the GUIPRS Conditions of Award for more information.
Department of Environment & Water : Adelaide, South Australia
An exciting opportunity exists to join the Horticultural team at the Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium of South Australia as a Horticultural Trainee.
The Horticultural Trainee combines both on and off-the-job training to be trained and assessed in order to achieve a Certificate III in Horticulture qualification. The Horticultural Trainee performs a wide range of ‘trade level’ horticultural activities to a high standard to maintain and develop the Botanic Gardens living collections including:
- Pest Control
- Turf Culture
To apply and for more information please visit the I Work for SA website and search by vacancy number 366839
National Zoo & Aquarium : Canberra, ACT
The National Zoo and Aquarium in Canberra is one of the most highly regarded tourist attractions and educational facilities in the heart of the nation’s capital. Its open range facility creates a unique world where adults and children alike can reconnect with nature and have the experience of a lifetime.
The addition of Jamala Wildlife Lodge in the zoo grounds received worldwide attention and reviews, consistently enabling it to rate amongst the top animal lodges in the world. The zoo and lodge are now looking for an experienced and dedicated person to head their horticultural team.
Candidates for this position must be motivated to achieve institutional and team objectives and will be jointly responsible for the ongoing care and development of the entire gardens, lawns and zoological enclosures within the facility.
Applicants must possess a strong background, with a variety of horticultural skills, including:
- specialising in botanical and installation aspects and be a qualified and experienced horticulturist with a minimum of Cert III in Horticulture.
- A strong knowledge of plant establishment and care in Canberra is essential, along with an extensive background in the establishment, upgrading and upkeep of significant lawn areas.
- have experience in and be efficient with short and long term planning, as well as being capable of overseeing and managing the establishment and maintenance of vegetation in 20 hectares of gardens, lawns and zoo grounds.
- have the ability to work well in a team – they will be responsible for the output and direction of four staff dedicated to horticulture.
- be able and willing to spend a significant percentage of their time working in the grounds with their staff.
- have certificates to operate relevant machinery, preferably including chainsaw, bobcat, excavator and elevated work platform. The ability to ensure that a range of machinery is adequately maintained and serviced is necessary.
The zoo is continuing to expand and to upgrade existing areas. If you would like to explore the option of joining a team of people that are dedicated to further developing one of the countries unique facilities, then send your application as below. Salary is negotiable.
Orange City Council : Blue Mountains & Central West, New South Wales
Skillset in conjunction with Orange City Council are seeking applications for a Horticulture Trainee. The successful candidate will complete a Certificate III in Horticulture and receive formal and on the job training from industry professionals.
Orange City Council shows it commitment to skills development for local people by partnering with recruitment and traineeship specialist Skillset, to offer exciting career opportunities in the Orange City Council region.
This is a fantastic opportunity for applications to join a well-known and prominent organisation whilst entering a full time, two-year placement that will provide both on the job experience and study. You will be allocated a dedicated Skillset Workforce Consultant who will support you’re through your Traineeship and at the successful completion of the role you will graduate with a nationally recognised qualification.
This opportunity is suited to a driven, hard-working individual with a keen interest in pursuing a career with Local Government and/or the Horticulture field.
CERES Community Environment Park : Brunswick, Victoria
CERES Community Environment Park is an awardwinning, not-forprofit, environment park and urban farm located by the Merri Creek in East Brunswick, Melbourne. Once a landfill site and wasteland, today CERES is a thriving, vibrant community. With over 450,000 visitors a year, CERES is the most visited environmental centre in Australia.
About Honey Lane Organics
Honey Lane Organics is the anchor of our community food system. It is a working collection of market gardens, chickens, food swaps, ethical retail enterprises and food projects that train, employ and connect diverse groups of people through locally grown organic food.
What we are looking for
We are seeking a Weekend Farm worker who will:
- Support the Honey Lane Urban Farmer to maintain a healthy flock of free range chickens using best practice methods.
- Support the Propagation enterprise to maintain seedling production and watering regime.
What we offer
- An excellent team of passionate and experienced individuals to work with
- A unique location with strong links to sustainability and community
The Diggers Club : Olinda, Victoria
The Diggers Club is seeking a casual Retail Nursery Assistant to work in our retail store based in the beautiful Cloudehill Gardens in Olinda.
The Diggers Club is Australia’s largest gardening club with members going to our website as well as our retail stores to purchase our unique plants, bulbs, hardware and seeds.
Being casual the role will work business hours on a rotating roster as required. There must be flexibility to work both weekdays and weekends as our store is open 7 days per week. There will be a minimum of two shifts per week however flexibility to work shifts at short notice would be an advantage.
Reporting to the Retail Manager, you will essentially be responsible for providing first class customer service.
CERES : Brunswick, Victoria
About the role:
- Permanent part time position of 21 hours per week (three days)
- Hourly rate of $27.26 plus superannuation, generous staff discount and fulfilling serene environmental conditions
- Work with a dedicated and supportive team
What we are looking for:
You have experience within horticultural enterprises and a strong knowledge base including a range of propagation techniques. You are passionate about permaculture principles, regenerative agriculture and organic practices. You’ve had exposure to enterprise finances and know how to manage a budget and maintain accurate records. Conversing confidently comes naturally to you and you can manage volunteers, liaise with multiple stakeholders and can work in a collaborative manner. Ideally you’ll be equipped with a first aid certificate and have previous experience working in community organisations.
Queensland Farmers Federation : various locations in Queensland
We are looking for three positions as Agricultural Extension Trainees to be filled. We are looking for three graduates that are passionate about making a difference for the Great Barrier Reef, are passionate about Agriculture, and are looking to widen your industry experience.
The Queensland Farmers’ Federation (QFF) is facilitating an Agricultural Work Placement Program, funded by the Great Barrier Reef Foundation (GBRF), which aims to improve the capacity of early career extension officers (Trainees).
Three positions are available in three different host organisations in the Burdekin Region for 12 months. Each position has a specific description. Please see our website or the attachments for the position description.
The successful applicant will work alongside and receive mentoring from experienced advisors, participate in relevant training, engage with growers and graziers, and expand their access to professional networks. The focus of the position is on reducing the risk of excess nutrients, pesticides and sediments from agricultural runoff impacting reef water quality in the GBR catchments.
The Trainee will develop expertise in one or more of the following areas: land management, water management, water quality, soil health, and nutrient and pest management. The program will enhance the Trainee’s extension skills as they assist in delivering agricultural and Natural Resource Management (NRM) projects with landholders.
Leaf, Root & Fruit Pty Ltd : Melbourne, Victoria
This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic team player, keen to share the excitement of sustainable, edible gardening in Melbourne. You’ll have completed a PDC, and have strong experience with CAD. You cannot wait to use and develop your design skills. You will fit seamlessly into our team of enthusiastic gardeners. Attention to detail and professionalism are of the utmost importance, in this role.
This role is designed to give the incumbent an opportunity to develop their Permaculture design skills whilst supporting the Director. This will enable them to progress to higher levels of responsibility within the team. Based in Burwood, this role will involve extensive travel across Metropolitan Melbourne. This casual role is anticipated to involve working 3 to 5 days per week, usually on a Monday to Friday .
At times, this position will involve manual labour and working with noisy power tools. We work in all weather conditions, including heat, rain and wind. The role is very active and requires someone who is physically fit.
- Supporting the Director
- Participating in design projects from start to finish
- Confidently liaising with clients
- Attending site visits and compiling client briefs
- Base mapping and technical drawing (utilising Sketch Up)
- Assisting with administration tasks
- Coordinating workshops
- Participate in landscaping, plant propagation and other “hands-on” activities
Collector’s Corner : Melbourne, Victoria
GENERAL DUTIES include:
- Identification and knowledge about relevant plants to be able to support customers with plant selection and providing growing advice
- Managing stock, merchandising, cleaning etc.
- Experience or the ability to perform other tasks across the store, including front counter and register.
- Duties will also entail moving and replenishment of stock, watering, cleaning and other physical tasks, and ALL applicants must be fit and able to lift, carry, push, pull, bend etc. without issue.
- Preference given to people with extensive knowledge of the relevant plant groups, however serious enthusiasts with a passion for learning may also be considered.
- Previous retail or customer service experience is preferred and horticultural qualifications, knowledge of other plants in our range, or strong interest in plants would be of benefit.
Plantmark; Victoria, Melbourne, Western Suburbs
We value professionalism, integrity and commitment to customer service. Our success depends on our people and we welcome those who are passionate about making a difference. We currently have three positions open: Nursery Sales (Coordinator), Nursery Apprentice (Dispatch), Nursery Coordinator (Sales)